Netanyahu escalates feud with the White House

US President Joe Biden attends a meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Tel Aviv, Israel, October 18, 2023.
US President Joe Biden attends a meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Tel Aviv, Israel, October 18, 2023.
REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein

Benjamin Netanyahu lashed out at the Biden administration on Monday after the US declined to veto a UN Security Council resolution demanding an immediate cease-fire in Gaza during Ramadan. The US abstention allowed the resolution to pass. Netanyahu responded by canceling plans for an Israeli delegation to visit the White House later this week to discuss alternatives to invading Rafah.

The resolution also called for the immediate release of all Hamas-held hostages, but not as a condition for a cease-fire — unlike a US-sponsored resolution that failed last week thanks to Russia and China’s vetoes. UNSC resolutions are technically legally binding, but are frequently ignored without consequence. The US, Israel’s top ally, has vetoed several Gaza cease-fire resolutions since the war began.

Netanyahu said the decision to abstain marked a "clear departure from the consistent US position." The White House on Monday said it’s “very disappointed” that Netanyahu scrapped the delegation, but maintained that US policy has not changed. Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, who was in Washington on Monday, still met with US officials for separately planned talks.

Trouble in paradise. It’s increasingly evident the White House is fed up with Netanyahu, who appears set on invading Rafah regardless of US opposition. If Netanyahu moves ahead with the offensive, it could push Washington to consider more drastic steps to rein him in — such as putting conditions on US military aid to Israel.

More from GZERO Media

Argentine President Javier Milei speaks to the media while standing on a vehicle with lawmaker Jose Luis Espert during a La Libertad Avanza rally ahead of legislative elections on the outskirts of Buenos Aires, Argentina, on August 27, 2025.
REUTERS/Agustin Marcarian

The campaign for Argentina’s legislative election officially launched this week, but it couldn’t have gone worse for President Javier Milei.

US President Donald Trump, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Interior Secretary Doug Burgum and Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., attend a Cabinet meeting at the White House in Washington, D.C., USA, on August 26, 2025.
REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

The Trump administration is divided over its approach to Venezuela, according to Venezuelan journalist Tony Frangie Mawad.

A Ukrainian soldier is seen at a checkpoint at the road near a Crimea region border March 9, 2014. Russian forces tightened their grip on Crimea on Sunday despite a U.S. warning to Moscow that annexing the southern Ukrainian region would close the door to diplomacy in a tense East-West standoff.
REUTERS/Viktor Gurniak

60: Ukraine will allow men aged 18–22 to leave the country, easing a wartime ban that kept males under 60 from crossing the border.