Was Elon Musk right about Twitter's bots?
August 02, 2022
The world's richest man is trying to get out of buying Twitter because the social media platform has a lot more fake accounts than he thought.
But does he have a point? Certainly, says Facebook whistleblower Frances Haugen, who even recalls one social network with bots accounting for half of its users.
Companies could easily get rid of fake accounts, Haugen tells Ian Bremmer on GZERO World, but then businesses would lose out.
"If you can have a 1% drop in the number of users on your site, and you can have a 10% drop in the valuation of your company, that's huge," she says, adding that this discourages taking down networks of bots.
Watch the GZERO World episode: Why social media is broken & how to fix it
From Your Site Articles
- Why EU social media regulation matters to you - GZERO Media ›
- Hard Numbers: Musk threatens Twitter, Sri Lanka's president won't ... ›
- The Graphic Truth: Twitter doesn't rule the social world - GZERO Media ›
- Elon Musk to buy Twitter: will misinformation thrive? - GZERO Media ›
- Twitter's scent of Musk - GZERO Media ›
- Whistleblowers & how to activate a new era of digital accountability - GZERO Media ›
- Elon Musk wants a way out of Twitter - GZERO Media ›