Podcast: Naked power politics challenge global democracy, says author Yascha Mounk
Listen: Confidence in democracy is declining in the West at the same time authoritarian leaders like Putin and Xi Jinping have become more transparent about their demands and lack of respect for democracy, says Johns Hopkins University professor YaschaMounk, author of a new book, "The Great Experiment: Why Diverse Democracies Fall Apart and How They Can Endure."
On the GZERO World podcast, Mounk tells Ian Bremmer we're in a new era of naked power politics, illustrated by the way Putin is transforming Russia into a repressive regime. Putin believes the West is decadent while he views himself as a strong leader with traditional values. Meanwhile, the biggest challenges ahead for democracies like the US are racial disparities in wealth, tribalism, and extreme partisanship.
Listen to Ian Bremmer's interview with political scientist and author, Yascha Mounk.
- Podcast: American democracy is in danger, warns Ben Rhodes ... ›
- Authoritarianism's enduring appeal: Anne Applebaum discusses ... ›
- Putin, Russia & the allure of autocracy - GZERO Media ›
- Podcast: David Petraeus on Putin's war games - GZERO Media ›
- Podcast: Fighting for democracy in "Europe's last dictatorship ... ›
- Podcast: How discontent with globalization has fueled authoritarian "strongmen" - GZERO Media ›