Podcast: The problem with China’s Zero COVID strategy
Listen: Xi Jinping's zero-COVID approach faces its toughest test to date with omicron. Why? Because China lacks mRNA jabs, and so few Chinese people have gotten COVID that overall protection is very low. A wave of lockdowns could disrupt the world's second-largest economy — just a month out from the Beijing Winter Olympics.
That could spell disaster for Beijing, Yanzhong Huang, senior fellow for global health at the Council on Foreign Relations, tells Ian Bremmer on the GZERO World podcast. If things get really bad, though, Huang believes China will pivot to living with the virus, especially as the cost of keeping zero COVID in the age of omicron becomes too high.
Subscribe to the GZERO World Podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, or your preferred podcast platform to receive new episodes as soon as they're published.
- China's coming COVID crisis? - GZERO Media ›
- Kevin Rudd: COVID has made Xi Jinping zero-risk - GZERO Media ›
- Ian Bremmer: Zero COVID no longer works, and China will pay a ... ›
- How China decides to handle omicron will have global implications – Yanzhong Huang - GZERO Media ›
- Eastern European leaders visit Kyiv in unprecedented show of support - GZERO Media ›
- China isn't budging on zero-COVID - GZERO Media ›
- China’s discontent & the Russia distraction - GZERO Media ›
- China's year of unpredictability - GZERO Media ›
- COVID protests spread in China - GZERO Media ›
- Podcast: How we overcome infectious disease with a public health renaissance - GZERO Media ›
- Podcast: No Empire lasts forever: How China’s rise could trigger a new world order - GZERO Media ›