Ian Bremmer: How AI may destroy democracy
More than 30 years ago, the US was the top exporter of democracy to the rest of the world. But now, America has become the main exporter of the tools that undermine democracy where it is weak, Ian Bremmer said in a GZERO Live conversation about Eurasia Group's Top Risks 2023 report.
Social media and tech companies based in the US have developed what he calls "Weapons of Mass Disruption" — Eurasia Group's #3 geopolitical risk for 2023.
And guess who wrote the title? An artificial intelligence bot from ChatGPT.
To be sure, Bremmer adds, AI can be great for many things. But "no one talks about the flip side, the dangers of these disruptive technologies, until the crisis hits, until it's too late."
Watch the full live conversation: Top Risks 2023: A rogue Russia and autocrats threatening the world
- Be more worried about artificial intelligence ›
- The AI addiction cycle ›
- Can we control AI before it controls us? ›
- Eurasia Group’s Top Risks for 2023 ›
- Scared of rogue AI? Keep humans in the loop, says Microsoft's Natasha Crampton - GZERO Media ›
- How are emerging technologies helping to shape democracy? - GZERO Media ›
- Should AI content be protected as free speech? - GZERO Media ›
- Stop AI disinformation with laws & lawyers: Ian Bremmer & Maria Ressa - GZERO Media ›