But according to Liu, Xi's biggest problem right now is not Putin, but China’s zero-COVID policy - which now has 26 million people under lockdown in Shanghai. China is facing a challenge they never saw coming — and that "hits right to the soul."
Russia's war in Ukraine has put China in an awkward spot: they condemn the invasion, but not the invader. Chinese coverage of the war in Ukraine hasn’t been consistent, and neither is China’s historical relationships with Ukraine and Russia. Many Chinese media outlets have “an outstanding capability to maintain a state of denial, to say things that are clearly not true” — but not all have spread propaganda about Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- Ukraine throws wrench into China-Russia friendship - GZERO Media ›
- The Graphic Truth: China-Russia trade ties - GZERO Media ›
- The problem with China's Zero COVID strategy | GZERO World ... ›
- What We're Watching: China's problems, UAE vs Houthis, Nord ... ›
- China has a big population problem - GZERO Media ›
- Armenia and Azerbaijan flareup gets Russia involved - GZERO Media ›