Ian Bremmer: US support for Ukraine vs fear of Russian escalation
Rogue Russia is Eurasia Group's #1 top geopolitical risk for 2023. But what does that mean if you're Ukraine?
For Ian Bremmer, so far Ukraine and NATO have been very aligned on their goals. But that might change in the future if Ukraine's demands threaten unity between the US and its allies, he said in a GZERO Live conversation about Eurasia Group's Top Risks 2023 report.
The West will continue supporting Kyiv. But the last thing America wants is to risk giving the Ukrainians too much or too fast that it'll risk an escalation that could lead to nuclear war.
At the end of the day, Bremmer suggests, what Ukraine might find reasonable to ask for might not be reasonable for the US to provide.
Watch the full live conversation: Top Risks 2023: A rogue Russia and autocrats threatening the world
- Three hundred days of war in Ukraine ›
- Zelensky in Washington for arms & aid, not just symbolic support ›
- Will Putin drop a nuke on Ukraine? ›
- Following Ukraine’s Crimea bridge attack, expect Putin to escalate "until he collapses" ›
- Opera legend Renee Fleming on how Russia's war in Ukraine has impacted classical music - GZERO Media ›