During his victory speech last June, Colombia’s new president, and the country’s first leftist leader in modern history, said that it was time to “develop capitalism.” In an exclusive interview with Ian Bremmer for GZERO World, President Gustavo Petro explains what he meant.
“I mean to say that capitalism has not developed in Colombia. The productive capacity that it generates, which is indubitable throughout human history, has been quite rickety in my country.”
Petro tells Ian how he intends to expand Colombia’s productive capacity, and why the nation’s teeming biodiversity is central to that mission. And why a new kind of capitalism can diminish coca production in the process.
Watch the GZERO World episode: Gustavo Petro: the guerilla-turned-president who wants to "develop capitalism"
- Will Colombia really elect a leftist? - GZERO Media ›
- Gustavo Petro: the guerilla-turned-president who wants to "develop ... ›
- Hard Numbers: Petro aims for trillions, killings of Muslims rattle ... ›
- Petro at the Pinnacle: Colombia's new president takes office ... ›
- Colombia's new president Gustavo Petro: Biden team aware the war ... ›