Restoring ties with Venezuela is a no-brainer for Colombia's new president
September 23, 2022
One of Gustavo Petro's first moves after becoming president of Colombia was to restore diplomatic ties with neighboring Venezuela.
Why? Petro says that closing the border between two countries who share the same blood has led to an economic "catastrophe."
What's more, he tells Ian Bremmer in an exclusive interview with GZERO World, globalization at its purest is about trade between neighbors like Colombia and Venezuela, which the previous government destroyed "to the point of stupidity."
Rebuilding ties with the Venezuelans is a priority for Petro, who sees it as an important step toward restoring the human rights of those on both sides of the border.
From Your Site Articles
- Colombia's new president Gustavo Petro: Biden team aware the war ... ›
- Will Colombia really elect a leftist? - GZERO Media ›
- The Graphic Truth: Venezuela's sprawling LatAm exodus - GZERO ... ›
- The Graphic Truth: Global hunger hotspots in 2021 - GZERO Media ›
- New Venezuela talks: Maduro won, so what's there to talk about ... ›