"We are in the fog of war," says US Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm about the increasingly dangerous situation at the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant in Ukraine, which is currently caught in the crossfire of Russian and Ukrainian fighting. Granholm says the Department of Energy is monitoring the situation closely and has "no indications of increased radiation levels right now" but added that the situation could change at any moment.
Even if disaster is averted this time, Granholm believes that a line has been crossed: "No country should turn a nuclear power plant into an active war zone." Her comments were part of a larger conversation with Ian Bremmer which will air in an upcoming episode of GZERO World.
- 6 months of Russia's war in Ukraine - GZERO Media ›
- More Russia-NATO confrontation ahead in Ukraine war - GZERO ... ›
- The Graphic Truth: Who's nuclear in the EU? - GZERO Media ›
- Europe's nuclear dilemma - GZERO Media ›
- Podcast: Biden's climate bill sets US up to lead on clean energy, says Sec. Jennifer Granholm - GZERO Media ›
- Climate action: an "oasis of diplomacy" for US/China, says Energy Secretary Granholm - GZERO Media ›
- Supercharging US clean energy & achieving net zero 2050 globally - GZERO Media ›