Nick Thompson: Facebook realized too late it couldn’t control its own algorithms
Three years ago, Facebook changed its algorithms to mitigate online rage and misinformation. But it only made Facebook worse by boosting toxic engagement, says Nick Thompson, The Atlantic CEO & former WIRED editor-in-chief. Thompson believes Facebook simply got in over its head, rather than becoming intentionally "evil" like, say, Big Tobacco with cigarettes. "I think they just created something they couldn't control. And I think they didn't grasp what was happening until too late." Watch his interview with Ian Bremmer on the latest episode of GZERO World.
- LinkedIn right to shut down in China, says journalist Nick Thompson ... ›
- “Blood and glass" and the power of Big Tech - GZERO Media ›
- The Big Tech breakup: Could it happen? - GZERO Media ›
- Is Facebook like a car or a cigarette? - GZERO Media ›
- Facebook metaverse launch leads other Big Tech firms to focus on AR/VR - GZERO Media ›