For former CIA chief David Petraeus, the Russian leader has miscalculated — big time. The Russian president shook the tree, and what came out is NATO unity — exactly the opposite of what he was counting on.
"Putin has managed to unite NATO in a way that nothing else has since the end of the Cold War, other than his annexation of Crimea and invasion of the Donbas in 2014," he explains. "He has really given NATO a reason to live again."
What's more, Petraeus thinks Putin is now digesting the "porcupine" he's eaten, which won't go down easily.
Watch the GZERO World episode: Ukraine War: Has Putin overplayed his hand?
- Ukraine war: Has Putin overplayed his hand? - GZERO Media ›
- Podcast: David Petraeus on Putin's war games - GZERO Media ›
- Petraeus: Taking Ukraine is one thing, holding onto it is another ... ›
- Eastern European leaders visit Kyiv in unprecedented show of support - GZERO Media ›
- Biden's Europe trip to show strengthened alliance against Russia - GZERO Media ›