Podcast: China's uphill battles, from Putin to COVID: Newsweek's Melinda Liu
Listen:The relationship between Putin and Xi is a "marriage of convenience," journalistMelinda Liu tells Ian Bremmer on the GZERO World podcast. Russia's war in Ukraine has put China in an awkward spot: they condemn the invasion, but not the invader.
Liu, who has been Newsweek's Beijing bureau chief for decades, believes that Xi is likely as isolated and surrounded by sycophants as Putin, which makes predicting what he'll do next very hard. Chinese coverage of the war hasn’t been consistent, and neither is China’s historical relationships with Ukraine and Russia.Subscribe to the GZERO World Podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, or your preferred podcast platform, to receive new episodes as soon as they're published.
- Podcast: How a US-China war could happen: Warning from ret ... ›
- S2 Episode 6: Common prosperity, coal, and competitiveness: The ... ›
- Podcast: From Bad to Worse: US/China Relations with Zanny Minton ... ›
- Taiwan is not Ukraine - GZERO Media ›
- Omicron & the undoing of China's COVID strategy - GZERO Media ›
- China (warily) watches Russia's war - GZERO Media ›