Upheaval in UK: the sobering challenges facing new PM Truss & new King Charles III
In early September, in just 48 hours the UK got a new prime minister (Liz Truss) and a new king (Charles III, following the death of Queen Elizabeth II).
Both take over at a turbulent time in British politics, with no shortage of current and future challenges. To name just a few: a stagnant economy, sky-high energy prices, more Brexit fallout with the EU, and Scots demanding a fresh independence vote.
On GZERO World, Ian Bremmer speaks to former British PM Tony Blair (1997-2007), who believes there will be a lot of uncertainty over the next year or two if Truss insists on big tax cuts and big borrowing.
Blair also looks back at the queen's legacy and the future of the monarchy, explains why Brexit will hurt but probably not fragment the UK, and defends why we need to return to his comfort zone of the political center to fix today's problems.
- What is the Commonwealth? - GZERO Media ›
- Queen Elizabeth's death marks turning point for the UK - GZERO ... ›
- Remembering Queen Elizabeth II - GZERO Media ›
- Britain's next prime minister - GZERO Media ›
- Liz Truss' unenviable new gig - GZERO Media ›
- Tony Blair on Liz Truss & a post-Brexit UK on the brink - GZERO Media ›
- US debt limit: default unlikely, dysfunction probable - GZERO Media ›