Vladimir Putin claims overwhelming domestic support for Russia's "special military operation" in Ukraine.
Is that true?
Former US Ambassador to Russia Michael McFaul, who talks to Russians almost every day, says what he's hearing is that there no winners inside Russia, where the war has hurt Putin politically.
Even the oligarchs are unhappy: "There is not a single economic actor in Russia [who] thinks this is good."
Why? Before the war, Russians had been richer than at any time in history, McFaul tells Ian Bremmer on GZERO World. Many feel Putin threw it all away, and he'll never get back the credit he'd earned for brining stability to Russia.
Watch the GZERO World episode: Beginning of Putin's end
- Risks of Russia losing: Putin, Ukraine, and potential for escalation ... ›
- The Graphic Truth: Piling sanctions on Russia - GZERO Media ›
- Russian ruble weathers sanctions storm - GZERO Media ›
- What do Russians really think of the war? - GZERO Media ›
- EU tightens visa rules for Russians but keeps borders open - GZERO Media ›
- EU keeps borders open for Russians but tightens visa rules - GZERO Media ›