Can Rishi Sunak restore UK economic and political stability?
Carl Bildt, former prime minister of Sweden, shares his perspective on European politics.
What are the key tasks for the new UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak?
Well, basically restore some credibility in the ability of the UK to govern itself in a reasonable way after the tumultuous months that we have seen. That applies to management of the economy. That applies to, sort of, cohesion in the Conservative Party. And that applies also, to restoring some sort of sense in the approach to cooperation with the rest of Europe. So quite a tall order.
Will European support for Ukraine hold up as a cold winter might be approaching?
I'm quite confident it will. And as a matter of fact, if you look at the gas situation in Europe after the cut-up of all Russian gas, it looks better than most people had thought. I mean, the reserves are filled up fairly well. And if is not going to be a particularly hard winter, I think it looks fairly okay, there will be some difficulties, but overall, quite confident support will hold up. Very strong statement on those lines, by the way, by the new Italian prime minister as well.
- Can this man save the UK? - GZERO Media ›
- Rishi Sunak vs UK economic crisis - GZERO Media ›
- With electric bills soaring, should the EU cap natural gas prices ... ›
- The Graphic Truth: Natural gas prices make EU power costs soar ... ›
- Greece and other EU countries rush to help Turkey after quake - GZERO Media ›