Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

What We're Watching

How firm is Biden’s “red line” on Rafah?

Palestinians gather near a building damaged in an Israeli air strike, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in Rafah, in the southern Gaza Strip March 9, 2024.

Palestinians gather near a building damaged in an Israeli air strike, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in Rafah, in the southern Gaza Strip March 9, 2024.

REUTERS/Mohammed Salem
Make us preferred on Google

Gazans are anticipating an Israeli ground invasion of Rafah now that the March 10 deadline has arrived, despite warnings — albeit mixed ones — from the US president against the attack.

On Saturday, Joe Biden said Israel would cross a “red line” if it went through with its planned ground invasion without a plan to evacuate the 1.5 million people sheltering in Rafah. Then, almost in the same breath, Biden said “there’s no red line” that would lead him “to cut off all weapons” to Israel and endanger its safety. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, for his part, says he will press forward with the planned attack.


Biden had expressed optimism that a truce could be reached by this point, including hostage releases that would meet Israeli conditions and head off an attack on Gaza. Leaked diplomatic cables last week indicated the US government believes an invasion would lead to “catastrophic humanitarian consequences.”

Even if the invasion is briefly delayed, Gazans are starving as Israel permits only a trickle of aid to enter by truck, and airdrops of food have done very little to relieve the suffering. The European Union has prepared to dispatch a ship with humanitarian aid from Cyprus, and the US says it will construct a temporary pier that can be used to bring in aid by water. However, it could take two months to come online — and even then would struggle to match what trucks entering from Israel could provide.

More For You

​Former Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad showing his identity document with the other hand on his heart

Former Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad shows his identity document to the media during registering his candidacy for Iran's upcoming presidential election in Tehran, on June 2, 2024.

Rouzbeh Fouladi/ZUMA Press Wire
The US and Israel planned to install a Holocaust denier as Iran’s presidentYou heard that right: before the Iran war began, the United States and Israel planned to make former Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad – a Holocaust denier who has called for the destruction of Israel – the new leader, according to a New York Times report. Evidently, [...]
A protestor throws a tear gas canister back towards the police

A demonstrator throws a tear gas canister back towards the police during a march calling for the resignation of Bolivia's President Rodrigo Paz, as the country's economic and fuel crisis worsens due to a shortage of U.S. dollars and falling domestic energy production, in La Paz, Bolivia May 18, 2026.

REUTERS/Claudia Morales
Labor unions bring La Paz to a haltProtests and unrest have gripped the Bolivian capital of La Paz for the past two weeks, culminating in clashes between demonstrators and police on Monday. What began with the national labor union demanding a 20% wage increase quickly grew as other unions joined in, citing rising fuel costs and unsafe working [...]
People at a hospital wearing masks amid an Ebola outbreak

People at Bunia General Referral Hospital, following confirmation of an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo strain in Bunia, Ituri province, Democratic Republic of Congo, May 16, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone.

REUTERS/Victoire Mukenge
World Health Organization declares global health emergencyOn Saturday, the World Health Organization declared the current epidemic of Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda “a public health emergency of international concern,” but said it does not meet the criteria for a pandemic. The latest outbreak has killed over 100 [...]
CIA Director John Ratcliffe meets with Cuban officials

CIA Director John Ratcliffe attends a meeting with Cuban officials at a location given as Havana, Cuba in this image released May 14, 2026.

CIA via X/Handout via REUTERS
Cuba has run out of fuel, and the CIA director is there for it.US spy chief John Ratcliffe traveled to Havana yesterday just hours after the communist-run island said it had run out of fuel due to the ongoing US energy blockade. Ratcliffe, the highest ranking Trump administration official to visit, went to reiterate his boss’s vision of a “deal”: [...]