Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

White House defies court order blocking expulsion of Venezuelan migrants

​President Donald Trump speaks to reporters before boarding Air Force One as he departs from Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, on March 14, 2025.

President Donald Trump speaks to reporters before boarding Air Force One as he departs from Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, on March 14, 2025.

REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque
Make us preferred on Google

The United States has always had a complex relationship with its immigrants, dating back to 1798 when Congress passed the Alien and Sedition Acts, a set of laws that allowed the government to deport noncitizens during times of war and has only been used a few times. Some 227 years on, US President Donald Trump cited these same acts to expel Venezuelans that his administration believes are involved in gangs — without any hearing.


A judge on Saturday quickly pulled the plug on this move, temporarily blocking the White House from using the law to expel migrants and ordering it to turn around any planes containing detainees destined for South America.

“This is something you need to make sure is complied with immediately,” DC District Court Judge James E. Boasberg told the government after the American Civil Liberties Union argued that the executive move would allow the government to expel any Venezuelans from the United States.

White House responds defiantly: Despite a lack of evidence of the detainees’ connections to gangs, the Trump administration flew hundreds of Venezuelans to El Salvador on Saturday night — the planes had taken off before the ruling, reportedly landed in Honduras soon after, and then continued to El Salvador.

El Salvador’s President Nayib Bukele said Sunday that 238 members of the transnational Venezuelan gang Tren de Aragua and 23 members of MS-13, a Salvadoran gang, had arrived in El Salvador and were taken into custody. He posted a headline about the US judge’s ruling with a laughing emoji and the words “Oopsie … too late.”

The White House explained its actions. "A single judge in a single city cannot direct the movements of an aircraft ... full of foreign alien terrorists who were physically expelled from U.S. soil," White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said in a statement, adding that federal courts have no jurisdiction over how a president conducts foreign affairs.

Judge Boasberg has scheduled another hearing for Friday to hear further arguments in this case.

Courting matters: This wasn’t the only hitch to Trump’s immigration plans. The White House emptied Guantánamo Bay of migrants last week, moving the last 40 to a military base in Louisiana amid a torrent of legal hurdles in a likely bid to preempt another restrictive court ruling. The former “Apprentice” star had planned to detain 30,000 migrants on the naval base in Cuba.

More For You

In the Pacific Northwest, acoustic monitoring is helping detect endangered southern resident orcas and alert nearby vessels in real time. By combining underwater sensors, edge computing, and AI, Microsoft and conservation partners are helping ships reduce noise and collision risks in critical feeding areas. The initiative offers a glimpse of how [...]
US plan to divide the world’s AI alliances?
- YouTube
In his latest Quick Take, Ian Bremmer asks whether the United States should be pushing countries to choose between American and Chinese technology as the AI race accelerates. [...]
A princess among men
Will Fitzpatrick
No, the change wasn’t a publicity stunt for the newly announced Princess Diaries 3. On Saturday, Liechtenstein’s hereditary prince announced that the tiny country of around 40,000 people would end male-only succession and adopt firstborn inheritance, opening the door for the first woman to lead the monarchy since the House of Liechtenstein was [...]
​U.S. Army soldiers take part in a U.S.-South Korea joint river-crossing exercise.

U.S. Army soldiers take part in a U.S.-South Korea joint river-crossing exercise, which is a part of the annual Freedom Shield joint military training, near the demilitarized zone separating South and North Korea, in Yeoncheon, South Korea, March 14, 2026.

REUTERS/Kim Soo-hyeon
Trump puts another dent in US-South Korea relationsPresident Donald Trump announced Sunday that the US would scale back future joint military exercises with South Korea, just as the allies’ annual August drills kicked off today. In a Truth Social post, Trump cited his “good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and said Seoul had [...]