Preet Bharara on the legal troubles of former President Trump
The rule of law is a cornerstone of democracy. Ensuring that everyone is treated equally in the eyes of the law, including public officials, is a critical component of a healthy, thriving democratic government. On GZERO World, Ian Bremmer speaks with former US Attorney for the Southern District of NY and podcast host Preet Bharara to delve into the legal struggles of former President Trump. There is a strong possibility Trump will face a criminal trial as he runs for president in 2024, so the stakes have never been higher.
Bharara shares his analysis of the potential implications for executive privilege and its impact on democracy. In his wide-ranging conversation with Bremmer, they also explore the legal aspects of other news topics, including the ethical controversy surrounding Clarence Thomas and the ongoing Department of Justice investigation into the Ukraine leak.
Note: this interview appeared in an episode of GZERO World with Ian Bremmer on April 17, 2023, "Parsing Donald Trump's indictment
- Could Trump win the presidency even if convicted of a crime? ›
- Parsing Donald Trump's indictment ›
- Podcast: Trumped up charges? The law & politics of investigating a president's crimes ›
- Bharara: Clarence Thomas' donor trips may not be illegal, but not a good look ›
- Trump sexual abuse verdict won't hurt him with GOP - GZERO Media ›