It was the right move, but was it the right time? That’s how German diplomat Christoph Heusgen describes Chancellor Olaf Scholz's decision to visit Chinese leader Xi Jinping in Beijing today, along with a delegation of German business leaders. Heusgen spoke to Ian Bremmer in an upcoming episode of GZERO World.
Heusgen and Bremmer discuss the many questions swirling around this visit, including that, at a moment when European nations are already trying to wean themselves off of an energy dependency with Russia, is it really the right time to strengthen business ties with China?
That said, Heusgen acknowledges that a strong and healthy relationship with Beijing will be critical for Europe's growth in the years ahead. He only wonders why Scholz didn't take French President Emmanuel Macron up on his invitation to visit Beijing together.
Full GZERO interview coming soon at gzeromedia.com and on US public television.
- Euro diplomatic sweepstakes - GZERO Media ›
- Will the real Olaf please stand up? - GZERO Media ›
- EU-China summit affected by Ukraine war - GZERO Media ›
- EU-China "reset" in limbo - GZERO Media ›
- The Graphic Truth: Kicking the Russian gas habit - GZERO Media ›
- What We're Watching: Pakistan's former PM shot, Olaf goes to ... ›
- What We're Watching: Scholz in Moscow, Trudeau invokes ... ›
- European unity vs Putin, energy shortages, & economic pain - GZERO Media ›