How is China able to control their tech giants without suppressing innovation?
For Ian Bremmer, one important reason is that there's a big difference between Jack Ma questioning Chinese regulators and Elon Musk doing the same to the SEC.
"In the United States you've got fanboys if you do that; in China, they cut you down," Bremmer told CNN anchor Julia Chatterley in an interview following his annual State of the World Speech.
Still, he says China knows it cannot kill its private sector because it needs to keep growing and competing with American tech firms.
So, who's winning the global battle for tech primacy?
Right now, Bremmer believes the US and China are at tech parity — thanks to their tech giants.
"When we're talking about tech supremacy, we can't just talk about governments anymore."
- The next great game: Politicians vs tech companies - GZERO Media ›
- Will China's tech sector be held back? - GZERO Media ›
- Nicholas Thompson on China's tech U-turn - GZERO Media ›
- Why is Xi Jinping willing to slow down China's economy? - GZERO ... ›
- Why is China trying to game the gamers? - GZERO Media ›